February 9th, 2013
Slightly dusty and with broken stems? Not our Black Apples!
(Picture taken at HM)
It’s been about three weeks since we closed the submissions for Black Apples, and we still have about sixty princesses left to read. We received more submissions for the anthology than we anticipated (yay!), and are asking for some patience while we read through it all. We send out responses weekly.
Observations we have made:
– Cinderella is the most popular tale to retell
– Sleeping Beauty and Rapuntzel are number 2 and 3
– Arianna, is for some reason a very popular princess name – anyone know why?
– Names beginning with an A are in general overrepresented – and I really do wonder why…
– Red Riding Hood is, not surprisingly, the “princess” most frequently portrayed as a slayer, particularly of wolves.
It’s also important to mention that we have a magnificent short list of fabulous stories that truly puts a new spin on old tales. The final cut for the TOC will be very, very hard.
Belladonna and this stooping, disheveled lady spotted at a toy store, thank all the authors for submitting their stories to us!